Back pain is increasingly becoming one of the most common ailments among people across all age groups in India. While earlier it used to predominantly occur in old age, back pain is now very common among middle aged working professionals and even teenagers.
- Incorrect sitting posture
The most common reason for back pain is poor posture. Incorrect posture or slouching tends to strain the muscles in the back which in turn exerts pressure on the center of the vertebral column and lower back.
- Improper back support while sleeping
While sleeping on a mattress, it is important for the spine to be well supported uniformly across the back. If this is not the case, symptoms start from stiffness in the back and gradually develop into chronic pain.
- Age related degeneration of joints in the spine
Older adults over age 60 are more likely to suffer from pain related to degeneration of the joints in the spine which leads to osteoarthritis and spinal stenosis. Both these conditions develop gradually over time with intermittent symptoms at first which can eventually develop into steadier pain in the lower back.
- Lack of exercise / unhealthy diet
Overweight people have an increased risk for back pain. This is especially true for people with extra weight around the mid-section, which pulls the pelvis forward, creating stress on the lower back, leading to pain.
How can Viopatch help
Viopatch not only works towards relieving symptomatic pains in the back but also improves blood circulation in the affected area. Improved blood circulation reduces stiffness and relieves stress on the soft tissues, particularly on the lower back. The flexible polymer of Viopatch improves mobility so that there is no undue stress on any one area of the back.
Other measures for prevention / treatment
- If in a sedentary work profile, it is important to walk around and stretch after every few hours to relieve the pressure on the back muscles and improve blood flow to the back.
- Use a mattress that has medium firmness to provide uniform support to the back.
- Drinking lots of water along with foods rich in Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamin D3, Vitamin C and Phosphate help in strengthening of spine. Common such foods include dairy foods, fatty fish, eggs and green vegetables.
- Yoga and simple stretching exercises help in strengthening the abdominal muscles and spine.