The Knee joint bears the entire weight of the body. Although it has an immense ability to handle strain, repeated pressure can lead to knee pain. It may be a result of an injury, such as a ruptured ligament or torn cartilage or medical conditions including arthritis, gout and infections.
- Injuries and sudden jerky movements
Sudden trauma to the knee after accidental falls, awkward landing or sudden tripping over is a common cause of knee pain. Acute knee pain is common with sudden jerky movements of the leg, straining the ligaments in the knees.
Above 60 years of age, osteoarthritis, gout or rheumatoid arthritis are very common conditions leading to knee pain. Apart from pain, reddening and swelling of the joints are other symptoms.
- Overuse of tendon muscles
People who regularly play sports sometimes overstrain tissues connecting bones and muscles in the knee. This leads to tendon inflammation or tendonitis.
How can Viopatch help
Viopatch along with pain-killing medications, also provides a compression therapy around the knee to reduce swelling and inflammation. It works on a 100 square centimetre cross section from the center of application thereby delivering the drugs effectively to all areas of the knee joint. Its flexibility allows free movement of the knee so as to not restrict normal activity.
Other measures for prevention / treatment
- Elevate the injured or sore area on pillows while you are sitting or lying down to reduce swelling.
- Avoid high-impact exercise, such as running, skiing, snowboarding, or playing tennis, until your knee is no longer painful or swollen.
- Drinking lots of water along with foods rich in Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamin D3, Vitamin C and Phosphate help in strengthening of joints and muscles. Common such foods include dairy foods, fatty fish, eggs and green vegetables